Are you looking for some new yummy recipes? This is a delicious Indian-spiced kale infused chickpea and quinoa stew by Ellen Lahti, a guest writer to Ihana Wellness blog. She wants to share the recipe with you. It´s a delicious vegan dish, that takes around an hour to make and it serves 3-4 people.
Kale Infused Chickpea and Quinoa Stew Ingredients
A big bunch of kale
2 cans of chickpeas
1 can of coconut cream
¼ of pumpkin
1 1/2 cups of quinoa (I mixed red and white quinoa)
1 grated carrot
2 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
Spices: Curry powder (you can choose mild or hot depending on your liking), chili, salt, pepper, Indian mixed spices or garam masala of your choice (usually with cinnamon, clove, pepper, caraway, fennel etc.) but you can mix what you’ve got.
I recommend using a big wok pan instead of a traditional-sized frying pan.
How to make the stew
- Cut the potatoes and the pumpkin in smallish pieces, and boil them.
- Boil the quinoa as well, and drain it.
- Chop the onion and garlic, and mix these together with the oil in a frying pan. You can let them slowly turn a bit brown, or you can start adding the kale in straight away. The kale will become smaller in size anyway, so you may as well do it immediately. This way you will also see how much green there is, and you can add even more kale if you like.
- Add the soft and diced potatoes, pumpkin and the quinoa onto the pan, and mix.
- The canned chickpeas only need to be rinsed, and then they’re ready to be added into the pan as well.
- Grate the carrot and add it into the mixture.
- Add a can of coconut cream and let the mixture simmer, and while you’re waiting, you can start adding the spices.
- With spices it is always hard to tell exact amounts, as the varieties and consistencies vary a lot. I would recommend adding 1 teaspoon of each spice, mix well and have a taste. You definitely need a bit of salt and pepper as well to make sure all the flavours really come through.
- When the whole stew has simmered for about half an hour, have a taste and add some more spices to your taste.
- Mix it all well, and voilà, it is ready to be served.
// Ellen Lahti
Ellen is a 28-year-old curious mother living in Western Australia who is into holistic wellbeing and mindful living. She tries to be active everyday but she is always on the lookout for new ways to move her body and to feel better! See Ellen´s beautiful and inspirational Instagram: @doorsforsouls.